Sunday, September 10, 2017

Jet Lag = Eye Bag = Travel Hag


image found here



Crossing a few time zones can zone you out and make you cross for the whole trip. The first time I went to England, on the second day we drove from London north to Gateshead through beautiful countryside, which I totally missed because my bleary-eyed sleeping bobble head kept slamming into the side of the car or the shoulders my long suffering travel companions. (Sorry Carol and Emily)

There is a steamer trunk full of advice out there about how to beat jet lag. One preventative cure is  called "sleeping on the plane".  Ha! This is not an easy task. If you're in coach like I always am, you have a wee little seat for your regular size bum and legroom suitable only for people without legs.

There are some people that can sleep in these conditions, probably those with medicinal assistance. I have observed these sleeping beauties while I am not asleep peeking at them under my not-sleeping mask. They snore, pass gas and drool in happy oblivion while I envy them hour after creeping hour.

This time I vow to be one of them. How you ask?


With the aid of my new pet "trtl" Apparently travelers in a hurry don't need vowels so this new travel accessory skipped them. This cutting edge travel pillow is made of soft fabric that won't cut your edges. It wraps in a comforting way around your neck, fastening snugly with velcro. There is a rib structure inside the fabric that holds up your head on either side or in front,  depending on how you wrap it. This supposedly prevents bobble head and neck strain. It also folds up smaller than those U-shaped neck accessories you see adorning traveler necks like fat cervical collars because they won't fit in luggage.


Wow, when I see how adorable I look while I'm sleeping,
with my wrinkly neck skin all covered up,
I fall in love with myself all over again!


I took my trtl for a test spin on a road trip in July and quite liked it. It held my neck at a comfortable angle and soaked up drool in a very absorbent fashion. I am wildly hopeful that it will change me into a plane sleeper, a blissful slumberer who doesn't care that she's missing 500 movies on the small screen imbedded in the seatback reclined in front of her three inches from her eyeballs, or free cups of that special blend of airline diet coke.

Here's to sleeping with Trtls!





2 comments:

  1. Good thing you go on these trips so you can collect all these wonderful travel trips for us hopeful travelers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always forget how cute you are until I see a picture that jogs me...

    ReplyDelete