Friday, September 22, 2017

Starvation, Skibbereen and a Spaceship


Did you know there is a museum dedicated to starvation? Me either but we found it in Skibbereen. County Cork was hit the hardest during the potato blight and famine in l948. Millions in Ireland died and millions immigrated. Hard hearted landlords sometimes continued to export food even though their tenants had nothing to eat. It was a terrible time. The museum was sobering and tragic. I can't imagine being a mother with nothing to feed my children.

 Naturally, this made us really hungry so we went into town and had lunch.



I loved this verse on a statue for a local hero that was a peacemaker


A good tip sent us to a little town called Baltimore, out to a point with a beacon. It is not a lighthouse, but a large structure that looked like a space ship overlooking the stunning view with cliffs and waves crashing below.








I looked down at my feet as I sat on the hillside and felt quite overwhelmed with the beauty of everything, even the flower infested grass beneath my feet.



Our next stop was an old railroad viaduct. We walked over it and looped around over a footbridge covered with young cub scouts, both boys and girls. They all had lines in the water with bacon attached, fishing for crabs.


I stopped and talked to one of the leaders. I said "Bless you for being a scout leader." She said, "Ah, but I quite enjoy it."








No comments:

Post a Comment